- Primary School no. 1 in Stary Sącz
- Primary School no. 3 in Gorlice
- Primary School no. 6 in Gorlice
- Primary school
Extracurricular classes involving a dog.
Main objective :
- preparation of 160 students of 4th and 5th grades in primary schools to face the challenge for the entire humanity, which is sustainable management of water and its resources as a significant resource for humans.
- conducting an interactive board game involving a dog for 160 students of 4th and 5th grades in primary schools, concerning water saving methods; experimental group game involving a dog concerning water properties and resources; art competition concerning sustainable management of water resources; competition of knowledge about water, its properties and methods of reasonable management during daily activities.
The concept of introducing a subject related to water arose in order to demonstrate students the need for rational and sustainable management of water resources, as well as consequences of the availability of water resources for health, crops and food for people and animals. Students in this age group from Stary Sącz and Gorlice had never participated in global education classes, mainly due to the fact that there had never been such an initiative.
1. Promotion of the Project.
2. Preparation of the Project (preparation of didactic, administrative and technical background, interviews with class tutors in order to optimise the manner of working with students, preparation of the working plan).
3. Implementation of the Project (running 22 class hours involving a dog in 3 schools).
4. Monitoring of the Project.
5. Evaluation of the Project.
6. Financial settlement of the Project.
- art competition concerning sustainable management of water resources,
- competition of knowledge about water, its properties, methods of rational management in daily activities,
- 3 lesson scenarios for 4th and 5th grade in primary schools concerning sustainable management of water and its properties,
- 3 multimedia presentations,
- group journal concerning the conducted workshop classes,
- 2 articles in newspaper entitled « Aktywne Karpackie NGO ».
The Project is promoted on the foundation website, where information about the implemented public service was published, stating the funding sources, as well as description of particular classes together with photo documentation. The relevant entries were placed on social networks (Facebook, Twitter). Information was also published on posters at schools participating in the Project.
Examples of quantitative results:
- 20 posters promoting the Project were printed,
- 170 recruitment documents and 40 sets of regulations (five for each class) were printed,
- 3 meetings with headmasters of schools participating in the Project were held,
- 3 lesson scenarios were prepared,
- 3 multimedia presentations were prepared,
- 22 extracurricular classes with students at 3 schools involving a dog were conducted,
- 8 class registers were prepared (one per each class),
- photo documentation from classes at each unit was prepared,
- film using the collected photo materials was made,
- foundation members worked for the total of 75 voluntary hours,
- 3 articles in newspaper entitled « Aktywne Karpackie NGO » were prepared,
- 3 lesson scenarios were provided for 3 schools for use in teaching nature education.
Examples of qualitative results:
- as a result of 10 conducted experiments, students learnt about water properties,
- the project was implemented in the form of extracurricular classes, which made the educational offer of the school more attractive, as well as contributed to the expansion of interests of students and rational management of free time.
No difficulties were faced during the implementation of the Project.
Innovativeness consisting in involving a dog in extracurricular classes taking place at school. The students would come to classes with interest, because none of the school had offered classes involving a dog before. The implementation of the Project was also facilitated by positive attitude of school headmasters towards the subject of global education.
Project elements related to global education:
- potable water resources around the world,
- problem of water deficiency in the Global South countries,
- draught in Poland in recent years,
- water as a significant resource for the human being, care for its resources.
The following documentation was prepared for the evaluation of the Project: attendance lists confirming participation of students in classes, group journal concerning the conducted classes. The «talking wall» method was applied - students evaluated classes by writing their remarks on a paper sheet, as well as individual method - students solved the test of knowledge about water. Moreover, the scenario analysis and group discussion between the Project Team and school management was performed (report index). The evaluation of efficiency of the Project (evaluation of objectives) was performed through analysis of documents, interview, observations, surveys, questionnaires, letter to a friend, class register, report book describing class conclusions, interview triangle - interview with an unknown teacher/parent and interview with a student, photo evaluation). Additionally, the statement concerning the implementation of the Project, as well as collective report on the conducted classes, were published on the website.
It shall be mentioned here that dog at school introduces innovativeness and the school management is positive about classes involving a dog. However, parents are not prepared for classes involving a dog. This is related to the fact that every instance of "otherness" reaches small communities slowly and raises initial concerns. For the implementation of the Project, the foundation introduced innovative educational solutions.